Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The idea behind OffiSync

The idea to build OffiSync came to me when I was told that many Google Docs and Google Apps users also use Microsoft Office.

I decided to learn more about why would people use both products at the same time? Why not switch from the expensive Microsoft Office to the free / Cheap Google Docs / Google Apps alternative?

So I started asking around, I talked to a Gartner analyst, a general manager in a fortune 500 company, a good friend that is a CEO of a start up company and about a dozen other users who all gave me more or less the same answer:

“We like using Office for content creation and editing, but then, when we need to collaborate with others we upload the document to Google Docs so we can work with others and see changes and edits in real time. We also like keeping the files online so we can access them when we are not in front of our own computer"

So I decided to try it myself and do the same. It is then that I realized 2 very important facts:
- Google Docs is an amazing service
- Working with Office and Google docs in the scenario mentioned above seemed to almost be impossible and was very cumbersome. It took so much time to take a file I created in PowerPoint or Word and make it available online so I could collaborate with my co-workers....

So being an adventurous person, I decided to solve the problem for myself and for all those who use both Microsoft Office and Google docs and started OffiSync.

The idea we had when we started was very simple: enable users to keep using the leading desktop productivity suite, MS Office, and super charge it with the online and collaborative power of Google. We envisioned the integration between Office and Google Docs to feel very natural and almost as if they came from the same vendor.

So that's what we did....

Once you install OffiSync, you will get a tight integration between Office and Google Docs that will help you do the following:

* Save your Office files on Google docs just as if you were saving them locally. From that moment, you can access them from any computer using the browser only OR use Office to access those files when you use your own computer, just as if they were stored locally
* Use Google Search, integrated into the OffiSync toolbar, to find your documents in seconds (I love this feature!! )
* Share and collaborate with others by combining Office and Google Docs collaboration features. OffiSync will let you save a document online and add collaborators right from within the Office toolbar.


But then I started thinking, why stop here, why not build more “google features into MS Office” and that became the longer term plan for this product. We are now working to put more Google features such as Google maps integration, Google images and Google App Engine to make some magic with Office.

Let us know what you think! contact@offisync.com

You can also follow us on www.twitter.com/offisync

19 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff - anything that makes the step from "old" to "new" easier, less scary and manageable is welcomed, thanks.

    Love the approach to bring the benefits of using Google Docs closer to those in Word, top work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac OS X support, please!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really awesome. I did sign up but I don't have the link yet.
    Regards, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very cool. I love MS Office Live [1] because of its seamless integration with Office 2007 Suite. Now Offisync provides same integration with Google Docs. A dream come true.

    My only concerns are about how Offisync handles my credentials during the authentication phase. Is the authentication channel secure?

    Has anyone performed security assessment of Offisync, if so, I would love to hear from them. Thanks!

    1. http://workspace.office.live.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have privacy concerns.
    How do we know you're not harvesting people accounts ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a user of both MS Office and Google Docs it would be wonderful for me too. But I have MS Office 2010 Technical Preview installed so I'm away from the benefits of OffiSync :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome add in!

    I love the Google docs platform, but the editors are only "meh", this is a best of both worlds come true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having serious problems with the lost of format options when I send the document from Office to Google Docs, and when I send a complex document (long text with indexes and styles) to google docs, and I try to get I'm back, I lose all the format of the document and lost of pages from the main document.
    Has anybody have the same problem?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will you possibly include the option to bulk upload documents through offisync?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is Document size limited to 500k on word documents?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work, this fills a gaping void in Google's initial product offering. As @Mike said, adoption in this space is going to be driven by the ease of abandonment of existing tools. ECM (content and document management) vendors for years now have all commoditized the Outlook, File Explorer synch and Office integrations. It's good to see that Google and integrators like yourself are following suit. To read up on my review of OffiSync:

    www.cuneytuysal.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, I installed it and there is nothing new showing for this add-in within any Office Application. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Mike: This happened to me as well. I re-installed it, and then it worked fine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And what about the loss of format option when sent to Google Docs?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are there any plans to have offisync work on a mac?

    ReplyDelete