Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Google Apps – Not only for customers who want to replace MS Office anymore

Earlier today, Google announced a new product called “Outlook Sync” an outlook add-on that lets organizations use Outlook as their main email client while connecting it to Google Apps in the back-end instead of Microsoft Exchange.

Some people might be surprised by such a move, after all Google has its own productivity suite – Google Docs, so why endorse MS Office?

When you think about Google’s mission to “organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible” (both in the consumer and enterprise space) you start realizing that Google does not share the same vision as Microsoft around building tools for the sake of the tools themselves, but rather focuses on the data organization and accessibility whereas the tools are just ways to help achieve that goal. So...if those tools happen to be MS Office or Outlook then Google will make sure to leverage that.

By using the Outlook sync product, users will start managing and organizing their emails, contacts and calendar items on Google Apps, this means that the Google platform will kick in to start helping users organizing their information, archiving it, making it accessible through Google search, on the web and so much more….

OffiSync for Microsoft Office aligns with the same strategy. Google built an integration with Outlook and OffiSync extends that to Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The goal for OffiSync was to connect those MS Office applications to Google Apps and Google Docs and let users save their MS Office files on the Google back-end so they can access them from any computer, collaborate with others and organize it on Google’s platform.

16 comments:

  1. Perhaps you would like to take a moment to consider why Google has not built a similar plug-in to the rest of the Microsoft Office apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) a la Offisync...
    As I am sure you are aware, the actual technical effort needed to build such a plugin is trival (moreso for Google as it would involve hooking up the plugin to their own APIs...just as you have done).
    The reason they have not done this is not hard to fathom - every trip between Microsoft Office and Google Docs, be it import or export, is lossy. Since Google converts the original Microsoft Office formats to html, trying a round trip between MS Office and Google Docs is akin to saving a Word document as html on your local system, opening it again in Microsoft Word and trying to save it back as a .doc file.
    You can try this with any real-world Microsoft Office document and see how the fidelity of the document is ruined by Google Docs.
    While I am sure your product is well-intended, i am afraid it only shows up the gross inadequacies in Google Docs in its current form. Sure, Google might working towards improving its offering and getting closer to Microsoft Office but rest assured that the day it believes that it has managed to reach a sufficiently high level of fidelity, Google will release their own plugins in a matter of days...
    Best of luck in any case! My advice to you would be to look beyond Google...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about One Note Integration with Google search?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a very nice post as i got some problem with my MS Office and i wanted toreplace but after reading your post i think i have to review my decision1
    thanks and chears!designing website

    ReplyDelete
  4. If my quick reading leads me to the correct answer, Offisync does not really SYNC my documents with Google Docs. Rather it allows me access to my Google Docs (or create Google Docs) through the MS Office interface. Am I correct? If so, I would not have access to my Google Docs when not connected to the internet. I cannot imagine not having access to my docs when my ISP has problems, or I am on a plane flying. Please confirm or correct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, Office 2010 has come up, why don't you guys make a upgrade to support it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is anyone supporting this app anymore? I've been trying to get someone to answer a support question for over a month now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice information, many thanks to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and good luck!
    Lingerie Pantyhose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I love the Knicks and I hope they will get a championship shot next season.
    Zolpidem No Prescription

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material. Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts. Thanks so much and stick with it No doubt you will definitely reach your goals! have a great day!
    Tango i oslo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Fantastic Blog, it’s so helpful to me, and your blog is very good,
    I’ve learned a lot from your blog here, Keep on going, my friend, I will keep an eye on it,
    Argan Oil

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, interesting post. I have been wondering about this topic, so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be subscribing to your site. Keep up the good posts
    Electrician Galveston

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Fantastic Blog, it’s so helpful to me, and your blog is very good,
    I’ve learned a lot from your blog here, Keep on going, my friend, I will keep an eye on it,
    buggies batteries

    ReplyDelete
  13. Easily, the publish is really the greatest on this laudable topic. I concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your future updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business enterprise!


    http://www.trainingtampa.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This Blog is going places, the people, the layout, amazing to see such dedication and focus.
    Online Poker Rakeback

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks you. Very good post.Unless they can offer a really compelling reason for users to come back, it will be the next Bebo, MySpace
    Credit Counseling Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another informative blog… Thank you for sharing it… Best of luck for further endeavor too.
    Jake Gyllenhall workout

    ReplyDelete